Monday, January 10, 2011

Philly Cheese Steak (Veggie Style)



I'm a sucker for just about any sandwich.  In fact, I've said in the past that if I could only have one genre of food every single day it would be the sandwich.  You can put anything between two pieces of bread, and it can be just incredible.  So many variations to a sandwich!

Tonight (after the longest day ever) I was craving a sandwich.  It's been a while since we've had the food network, but one of the sandwiches that always made me hungry was the philly cheese steak, so tonight I set out to make a vegetarian version of one.

Here is what you you'll need:
Hoagie bread
2 slices of Provolone cheese
1/2 green or yellow pepper
2 slices of red onion
1 1/2 portobello mushrooms (the big ones)
2 Tablespoons of water
1 Tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


Slice the mushrooms and place in a medium high skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil.  Once tender, remove from skillet and let rest on a cutting board.  Add the pepper and onion slices to the skillet, salt and pepper them and add the 2 tablespoons of water.  Once the veggies are tender, add the balsamic vinegar, stir and add the mushrooms.

Meanwhile, slice the hoagies and place the provolone cheese on them and toast them in the oven.  Once melted, add the mushroom and veggie mixture and enjoy!

Michelle and I both enjoyed this sandwich with a bowl of soup. If you like mushrooms, this is a great sandwich, if you don't like mushrooms, you better stick with the real deal!

1 comment:

Britonius Maximus said...

I love veggie Philly cheesesteak style sandwiches. I make several variations in the theme, but for the more traditional I use the Tofurky brand Philly-style steak slices. They are vegan in fact if you lean more that way.